Buying an apartment is one of the biggest investments that you will do in your life. You will be shelling a sizeable amount of cash and that’s why you need to make sure that you make the right choice. There are several things that you need to consider so you can make an informed decision. To help you decide, we have listed a few important items to take into consideration.
1. You need to choose an apartment unit that comes with the most important sustainable features.
2. Hire a consultant to help you determine the needs and problems that you may have to make sure you choose the best property. This professional can also help you obtain approval for improvements that you wish to undertake in apartment in the future.
3. Go for an apartment that is in a development headed by a body corporate that focuses on sustainability and progressiveness.
4. Stay away from apartments with a traditional body corporate that would most likely oppose retrofits
5. Be sure to check out the apartment’s rating under the Green Building Council of Australia’s GreenStar Multi Unit Residential tool. The rating will give you a good idea of the apartment’s level of sustainability.
We have also listed a few of the things that you need to check out.
- NatHers rating where available
- Solar access
- Cross ventilation
- Glazing and natural daylighting
- Furnishable and practical floor plan
- High level security
- Multi-bin sorters
- Individual water meters
- Promiximity to public transport links
- Spaces and facilities
- Rainwater capture
- Energy efficient lightin
Now, once you have purchased your apartment, there will come a time when you might want to renovate your place. Here are some things that you need to keep in mind. First of all, you need to know that if you buy an apartment, everything underneath your paint, wallpaper, and floor coverings are owned and maintained by the body corporate based on the most kinds of strata title. But that does not mean you have no control over anything. You can make changes to your kitchen, appliances, plumbing fittings, and also floor coverings.
However, you need to remember that you need to secure the approval of the body corporate if you wish to make some changes to a shared property like altering the shading or glazing. The rules imposed by the body corporate extends to the presentation of the streetscape and the building’s structural integrity. There are other limitations that you should know like the installation of a solar hot water service, waterwater reuse, rainwater harvesting, and heating and cooling photovoltaic panels.
Fortunately, the attitude of body corporate when it comes to sustainable alterations are rapidly changing. An increasing number of apartments are adopting various techniques, technologies, and innovation that can help lower their footprint. You can always be proactive and secure the approval of your body corporate if you have great plans in mind to help make your place green and sustainable.
The other changes you can make in your unit include replacing inefficient showerheads and taps, upgrading your kitchen, choosing a dishwasher, or creating a small garden in your balcony. You can also repaint your walls, change the lightings. For paints, you can use those with zero volatile organic compound emissions. For lights, you can always opt for low energy fluorescent or LED lighting.
Check out the Coronation Property- The Paper Mill Georges River. You might get some great ideas that you may incorporate on your upcoming apartment renovation apartment.